Wednesday, February 7, 2007

When Elevators Attack

The following is a true story that happened to me a few years ago. Yes, I'm an idiot.


So there I was, Monday morning, rushing to a meeting. I had parked on the sixth floor of a parking garage and had to get to the first floor and then walk a quarter of a mile to my meeting. I was wearing a light grey suit, light grey suede shoes (with a kicky heel of course!), and I was carrying an open 20 ounce plastic bottle of Coke in my hand.


There were two elevators to get to the first floor, with a button in the middle to call the elevator. They were the elevator doors that open and close in the middle (i.e. two doors that close / open). As I was running up to the elevators I noticed that one was there but was closing. I knew if I missed the elevator I would have to wait another five minutes for it to come back to the sixth floor.


So like the idiot I am I stuck my free hand, which was the the hand holding the open coke, into the doors as they were closing. I figured the elevators would have those sensors that cause the door to open if there is something blocking the door from closing. I thought wrong.


The door closed on my hand like a dog on a rawhide. This caused me to squeeze the bottle of coke I was carrying, which caused me to get drenched with 20 ounces of coke. Then, because my hand was closed around the coke bottle, I couldn't pull it out. I tried in vain to reach the elevator button, which was in the middle of the two elevators, but unfortunately my arm was about 2 inches too short.


About a minute went by before someone came along and helped me get my hand out of the elevator. By that time I was sure it was broken and was in tremendous pain. I had coke in my hair, up my nose, all over the front of my suit, and all over my shoes.


I showed up to the meeting a sniveling, soaking, disgusting mess. Soon after, I had to move to another project because the humiliation was too much to bear.


Anyway, I like taking the stairs...

No comments:

Post a Comment