Saturday, March 14, 2009

iTsucks

Well, I've just spent the entire day trying to unfuck my music library. Thank you iTunes. You fucking suck.

I should mention that I got my first MP3 player back in 1999. I used MusicMatch. It was a GREAT program. Volume leveling. Discovered new music on its own. NEVER created duplicates. NEVER deleted songs (iTunes will delete music that it thinks you downloaded illegally - how fucking controlling is that?).

But then I got an iPod. I would throw it into my alley and run it over with my car if I didn't have it hooked up to my stereo so I don't have to carry around a billion CDs. But STILL...

First of all, I tried to add new music that Joe gave me to my library. It wanted me to add each individual folder. Like I have time. And, since it had to convert to the fucking stupid fucknut iTunes format, it was taking FOREVER.

So I decided to blow my music library away and start over. Should be easy. Point fucking iTunes to my music folder and come back in six hours. But no. It wasn't easy. Fucking iTunes randomly decided to not import certain albums. For example, it imported After Hours from my Nina Simone folder, but not Here Comes The Sun. I only discovered that when I started making playlists. So now I don't even know what music is missing until I go to listen to it.

Also, the fucking fuck of a program some how did not save my ratings for songs. How FUCKING stupid is that? That information is stored WITH THE SONG. It remembered all the other meta data. So now I have to go through my music library AGAIN and rate my songs.

Volume control. Well, I won't even get into that. But maybe some asspipe at Apple might want to one day get off his ass and work out. Then maybe he'll realize how fucking ANNOYING it is to constantly turn my player up or down depending on the song.

Then, as if all this stuff wasn't bad enough, I realized iTunes duplicated about half the songs it imported. Why, I don't fucking know. And then I realized that some music I burned in WMA format (my other player plays that, and MP3, pretty much any format except for iTunes) didn't import. So I manually imported it. I was prompted about converting the format to iTunes. Fine. And what do you think happened? It imported THREE copies of EVERY SONG.

And finally, iTunes smartlist. Well, guess that depends on your idea of smart. It created some jacked up, mashed up playlist of songs. You can't delete them. You can TRY to reset the parameters for the smart list, but it doesn't take them. Now I have this stupid playlist that I can't even SEE when I look at the playlists on my iPod, but it's the first playlist that plays when I switch over to my iPod when it's hooked up to my car stereo.

Oh, and when I synced my iPod it only took 6 lists of the 20 I created, even though there's room on my iPod for more songs.

My other MP3 player is a Creative Zen. It doesn't force me to make a library, I can import from the Explorer. It volume levels my songs. It...works.

I will never, ever, ever, ever buy an Apple product again.

2 comments:

  1. Damn girl, you got a mouth like drunken sailor - come sit by me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a mouth like a sober Marine. Those are the guys that taught me to correctly apply the f word.

    ReplyDelete