Friday, January 30, 2009

from dealer to crusader

Today I got up at 5 am to catch an 8 am flight to Denver. The plane fuel cap something or other was leaking fuel, so we left and returned to the gate three fucking times. We ended up sitting on the runway for a total of 3 1/2 hours. A guy went nuts the second time we returned to the gate and wanted off the plane. Since I was in the exit row right next to the door, where he was standing yelling at the stewardesses and then the captain, I was really hoping they would let him off. The stewardess told him to "man up". It was so gay.

They let him, and 7 other people off the plane finally.

When I got to DIA I had a screaming headache from not being able to sleep on the plane and not smoking for a long fucking time. I was rushing out the door when I was stopped by a guy named Charley who asked me for a donation for Environment Colorado. I told him I was already a member. He said he needed only $45 more dollars to make his quota for the day. I gave it to him, and then he followed me out to smoke, and I gave him two cigarettes too.

Charley used to be a marijuana dealer. He was sentenced to 10 years in federal prison. Coincidentally, I did statistics work on his prison while he was there (summer internship with Department of Justice). Charley learned to speak fluent spanish there and taught the other inmates.

He said "I used to drive a porsche but now I ride a bike". We talked about EC's initiatives. I related to him a story about how I sent a letter to the president of EC 2 years ago suggesting a green program for Colorado hotels. You could sign up for the program and when you checked in your room would only have one towel, your linens wouldn't get changed during your stay, and there would be a recycle bin. Charley said he is going to get the new president of EC to email me about my idea. I had some ideas on how to fund the initiative too, so maybe they'll do it.

It was nice to finally get home after my travel adventures. The house was spotless, there were groceries, all the snow had been shoveled, and my mail was arranged by envelope size in a little wooden basket. All the junk mail had been tossed. The guest room is still clean. I think house pest 2.0 is going to work out just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment