Monday, January 26, 2009

death built egypt

I just watched a show in my tv. I'm not sure what it was called, or what channel it was on, but it was about this guy who went down under Cairo buildings and pyramids to see what was there. I had been to almost all of the buildings in the show. The funniest part was when he wiped out walking down some steps to an ancient well. If you don't have to be coordinated I should get my own show too. But not a show with snakes in it.

I learned some pretty cool things. First of all, Egypt became pretty poor because of the romans invading and stuff, so instead of building elaborate tombs like the great pyramid, that contained treasures to help a pharaoh in the next life, they started building tombs with writing that would help the emperor whose tomb it was figure out how to get to this dead people place that you have to go to before you can be re-incarnated. The writings in these tombs became known as the book of the dead. It's the oldest known religious writing.

As I writer, I find it somewhat heartening that a society, when it loses everything material, will turn to writing as a treasure, which is as the world should be. It's nice to think of a society that finds words a better bribe than gold, though, Egypt isn't really that way any more, at least not the parts I went to.

I also found out that the reason mummies have masks is so when the soul returns they can recognize their body, and, presumably, climb back into it and come back to life. I guess that's why the Egyptians felt preserving the body was so important, though I'm not sure, as part of getting to be a new person, if you would also get your organs because the Egyptians took those out. I guess then the dead Egyptian would show up with their bag of liver, heart, brain and stuff, and then find their body, somehow pop back in there, and go do whatever. Kind of like those butterball turkeys at thanksgiving.

I wonder if your body got totally jacked (e.g. your arm was cut off) if you could get a better body or if they could some how fix your existing body (e.g. so it had an arm). I also wonder what would happen if like you were this girl and you were in love with this guy, but he married someone else, and then you all died, if you could just pretend to be that other person so that when he got back to life you would get to be the person fucking him. Guys aren't that smart, he probably wouldn't even notice he was fucking someone else.

If I were in Egypt back in the day, I would go into a tomb and re-arrange the death masks so some guy would think he was going back to his body, but he was really going back to a woman's body. Then his wife or what ever, when she came back, could be like "Now who's got the curse, bitch? And who's got the dick? Go make me dinner and clean up after the goats!"

This egyptologist who works with dead bodies said the curse of the pharaoh has to do with the ammonium given off by the dead bodies. It can apparently cause "bleeding of the lungs". Sounds like smoking, I know. Also he said when ever he has to go into a tomb he never shaves because if he cuts himself and has an open wound microbes from thousands of years ago can get into the cut and fuck him up. One would surmise you can't be a crack climber AND an egyptologist.

The best line from the show was when an egyptologist said "death built Egypt" because they never would have built all the temples if it weren't for preparing pharaohs for the afterlife, and those temples then attracting people like the romans who were after the wealth of the country, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment