Monday, March 25, 2013

chickens and pigs

My group at work is using the scrum method to do some major reorganization. Basically scrum means you have 30 days to do a bunch of work and deliver stuff at the end of the 30 days instead of doing the normal project thing which is to dick around for 6 months and not get anything done. We'll see if it works.

There's a concept in scrum of chickens and pigs. It all stems from this stupid joke:

A Pig and a Chicken are walking down the road.
The Chicken says: "Hey Pig, I was thinking we should open a restaurant!"
Pig replies: "Hm, maybe, what would we call it?"
The Chicken responds: "How about 'ham-n-eggs'?"
The Pig thinks for a moment and says: "No thanks. I'd be committed, but you'd only be involved!"
Um, yeah. I don't get it either. But it bugs the shit out of me because I have to sit in 3 hour meetings where people talk about pigs and chickens. Some software person will burn in hell for scrum.

So to make things more interesting to myself I had the following exchange with my scrum team:

Team Member 1: So, the pig will be signing off on the...
me: Excuse me. Is there a kosher version of scrum? I find the reference to pork offensive.
TM 1: Well, um, see the pig is supposed to...
TM 2 (from India): I don't like pork either. It's definitely offensive.
TM 1: Well maybe we could use goat instead.
me: I'm also a vegetarian.

And that's why we now use turnips and carrots instead of pigs and chickens. Fuck you who ever came up with scrum.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment