Friday, January 18, 2013

push the button? don't push the button?

Well, I used to think Lenovo laptops sucked badly. They do. But my HP laptop (work assigned) sucks worse. On Thursday it died. When I hit the power button I get this:

Mother. Fucker.
Usually when a hard drive is about to step on a rainbow it acts weird or gives you a warning. Not in this case.

I've been running all the BIOS tests. Nothing of interest coming out of them. I did a web search on the error message, then checked HP's web site. I find it ironic that you can find a prostitute shitting on a german man's face on the internet but not the solution to my boot up problem. Fuck you internet. And I can't create a recovery disk because apparently you can only do that once and some fuckwit in IT must have done it already for my laptop. And when I take my laptop in on Tuesday (yes, they can't fix it until Tuesday, not exactly speedy service) they'll probably just wipe the hard drive and re-image it.

So now I'm debating doing a factory reset to see what happens. Because of course I had a lot of files on my hard drive that weren't backed up and if I lose them I am SCREWED. For the record, my hard drive is encrypted. To back up my drive I have to have an external encrypted hard drive.

That means the backup goes R   E    A     L       S         L          O          W.

Like the whole weekend to back up My Documents.

Running the diagnostics again. Then I think I'm going to press the reset button. Like, it's not going to get worse. Is it?

Should I press the button?


No comments:

Post a Comment