Thursday, July 17, 2014

my doctor thinks he's me

I had an early appointment with my doctor today to take final measurements for my new jaw parts. When he first walked into the exam room he said "good morning, how are you?" and I said "good!" Then he walked over to the exam chair and said "how are you?" again. I was like "You just asked me that!" and he said "you didn't answer" and I realized he hadn't heard me. But he thought it was really funny to ask me, every 5 seconds, how I was until I finally yelled "GOOD!"

I now realize why people get so annoyed when I do that to them.

Then he told me that I would be proud of him because he ran to his pilates class, did pilates, and then ran to his office. I was feeding him shit during my last visit because he's 10 years younger than me and out of shape. We started talking about pilates and I found out he hasn't gotten to do the cadillac yet (the exercise the woman is doing in the photo is like an upside down push up, except that you can't let go, otherwise you'll fall - I used to be great at the cadillac when I did pilates and hardly any of the other students got to use it) so I decided to spend the next few minutes asking why he hasn't tried the cadillac yet. His assistant ratted him out (they take the same class) and said he was whining about his back hurting and spent most of the time stretching instead of doing pilates. He said "well, I was doing some really hard arm moves while I was stretching that you didn't see."

Then he made a sketch of my jaw and I laughed at it because it was so bad. He said the picture was bad because I always make faces when he's staring at my jaw (I do that involuntarily). Then he had to take measurements of the area that he's going to replace and I couldn't stop laughing because he kept accidentally poking me with the measurement tape (he claimed it was because I would make a horrible face as soon as the measurement tape touched my face). Finally he said "can you just pretend for 2 minutes that you are a normal person so I can finish this? and then you can go back to being your old weird self". So I made my robot face and his assistant started laughing and he accused us of ganging up on him.

He's been talking to other surgeons and feeling more confident about the surgery, though I may be missing part of my lower right jaw for a while if the bone isn't in good enough shape to put in the prosthetic. He said "well, you aren't one of those people who cares what you look like anyway." Which I thought was interesting. I always try to look somewhat presentable when I go to the doctor's.

Finally he said he could go and that he would do the rest of the measurements on my x-rays since I was (not purposely) not being cooperative.

So, I guess I'm all set to go with the surgery. Hopefully it will relieve my TMJ.


No comments:

Post a Comment