Tuesday, August 14, 2012

middle earth

Yesterday evening I was catching up on the XCKD comics and I came across one titled "cirith ungol" that had a person entering a cave that was full of webs. One of the webs said "some pig!" I didn't get it.

So I emailed the inner writer's group.

Me:
Do any of you fags know anything about middle earth? I don't get this comic and it's driving me crazy.

http://www.xckd.com/1087/

Kevin:
Sorry. I've had sex during this millennium so I'm unqualified to answer.

Jeff:
Kevin you suck.  I know the answer. 
 
It’s at the end of the second book of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  Sam uses a magic light in a cave with a really large spider.  The cave is the way to get around Cirith Ungol, which is a really bad fortress. 
 
Kevin:
All that Lord of the Rings knowledge, and you still can't get laid. How is that possible?
 
Jeff:

Me:
Thanks Jeffy.

But.

Why is the comic funny? Why does the web say "some pig"?

I need to know. I might not be able to sleep tonight if I don't find out. I can't keep googling shit forever. I have to watch Diva.

I just need someone to tell me why this comic is funny.

Jeff:
The some pig is a reference to Charlotte’s Web.  It’s a children’s book (actually quite good) about a spider that makes friends with a pig.  To keep the pig from becoming bacon she starts to make words in her webs.  Since people are stupid, they think the pig is doing it and not the spider.  So the spider keeps the pig alive.  One of the things she writes is “some pig.”  It’s a clever comic, but not hilarious.

Kevin (obviously on a different page than the rest of us):

It's a bad pun, Franki. His name is Malcom Jamal WARNER. From the Cosby Show. Warner-Warning? Get it?

Me:
I'm blond and don't own a tv.

I didn't get it.
 
Jeff:
Franki, just make a list of all the jokes and we’ll help you.
 
 
Everyone should join a writer's group. Even if you don't write.
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment