Wednesday, March 28, 2012

the rest of the pitch story

So on Sunday I sat down with the last person I had to pitch to. He's a senior editor for Random House. I could tell while I was doing my pitch that it was going well because he kept snickering (the pitch was supposed to be funny). After I finished he asked about my story arc. I had no idea what he was asking me but I must have answered the question correctly because he said he thought my book sounded exciting and that he thought it was an interesting project.

I liked that he called it a project.

So then I was sitting there not sure what to do so I said "Okay, I guess I'll go". He stood up, shook my hand, and gave me his card. I was like "Um, what should I do with this?" and he was like "send me your book!" Then he started laughing. He must think I'm a moron.

Anyway, I found out later from the group leader that instead of requesting just 5 pages or 20 pages he requested my whole book!

I sent it to him yesterday evening. This morning I got an email from him saying "got it, thanks!"

So if this fails it's because my writing sucks.

If he likes it the battle has just begun. If I sell him on the project he has to sell his senior management. Then they find me an agent. Then they have to convince a distributor to carry it. Editing the book can take 6 - 10 months. It's usually a year from the time the project is green lighted (which, on average, is four months from when the manu is requested) to publication. With lots of work in between.

Fingers crossed...

One of the women in my group started a facebook page for us. It's called Pitch Bitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment