Saturday, March 31, 2012

I can't believe I'm having this conversation with my dad

My dad never read anything I wrote before I wrote a chapter about him in my book. He hasn't read my book, just the parts about him, but he did provide me with technical corrections to the chapter where I describe a conversation we had about carbon:


My dad said, "Those lower cost solar panels are made from amorphous silicon semiconductor material. They can readily be produced but are low in efficiency, and over time they degrade and can fail early. The crystalline material is better." I thought about all the fluid in my knee turning to a crystallized mass, cutting the soft tissue.
He paused, also contemplating crystal structures, but not the ones in my knee. “"Isn't it interesting that carbon has three polymorphs? One produces pencil lead, one sparkling diamonds, and one fullerenes that spawned the nanotechnology revolution. Carbon is a unique element since it can form single, double, and triple bonds with itself..."
     My vision went white. I was going to pass out. I collapsed on a rock, and then I lost consciousness. When I regained consciousness I looked around, confused. There were pine needles scattered on the ground near my feet. I wished Martha Stewart was with us so that she could make me a pillow with them. I knew I would never leave that rock.

Anyway, I was talking to him about my cringle crisp caper book which he also read  (because he's on chemo and it's light reading). I was standing in the lobby of my hotel to get better phone reception when I was talking to him.

He said "I liked the book, but the ending sucked. The croco-diamond didn't do enough to make up for robbing the ton-o-tap". I was like "but he invented salsa and renamed the cringle crisps after the kangawrong". And my dad was like "that's not enough, he needs to give up the d.Dornian diamond to pay for a bunch of equipment to modernize the giant man's farm". I argued with him for a while and realized he was right.

Then I told him that I was also thinking to add in a song that the whitey biteys would sing, called "Under the Sea", to thank the giant man, kangawrong, and croco-diamond for the mittens. It goes:

Under the sea! Under the sea!
Won't you come see us under the sea?
We'll eat starfish crackers and jellyfish cheese!
So pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease 
won't you come see us under the sea?

My dad thought it was a good idea.

Then I hung up the phone and noticed everyone in the lobby was looking at me as if I'd gone mad.

Because, seriously, who argues with their dad about croco-diamonds? And recites a poem about jellyfish cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment