Thursday, January 19, 2012

incompetence

Wait until I tell my uncle about this one...

Today I was supposed to be teaching an online training class for students spread out across the US and in India. It's the first time I've taught a class like this.

Half the students never read the email with instructions on how to log onto the course so we were delayed 10 minutes because of that. Then half the students have audio problems because they never tested their equipment so they can't participate. None of the students have taken the pre-req. The software being used to serve the class is erratic and half the time the students can't see my screen. When I'm doing a demo I can't see the portal and have no idea if the students are trying to contact me because they can't see my screen (and since some can't talk...well, you get the picture).

Through all these problems I kept contacting the training coordinator, who is supposed to help. She told me to call tech support, which is difficult since I'm the instructor. Normally I would give the students an exercise to do while I did the training coordinator's job but...

...the best part...80% of the class is doing exercises in a software tool that is supposed to be available through a citrix lab. But, the class status in the system was shown as "unbooked" so the IDs and passwords to get into the citrix lab were never generated. And apparently there's no room on the servers to put my class up and I was told to reschedule it.

None of the training people are responding to my emails.

No comments:

Post a Comment