Tuesday, May 4, 2010

charlie's angels

On Friday Clo, Cam and I went to the Denver Art Museum to see this new photography exhibit.

Clo came to my house and we walked to Cam's work. I was feeling a bit embarrassed as we walked to the museum because Clo and Cam were wearing cute outfits and I was wearing the same stupid stuff I always wear. I was trying to remember from the movie which one of the charlie's angels was the poorly dressed geek, but actually I think there wasn't a poorly dressed geek in that movie except for Bill Murray.

We got to meet this famous photographer named Owen who had a picture in the show. He and Clo started talking about photo paper and printing pics and stuff so Cam and I walked around looking at the pictures. There were some really cool photos, my favorite being a pic taken by an Iranian woman. It's the soles of the woman's feet (which is interesting since showing the sole of your feet in Islam is considered an insult because they are unclean) with a farsi poem written over the feet. Between the feet, although it wasn't immediately obvious, was the barrel of a gun.

Then we went to the reception to have some crackers and water (the spread for this show opening was a little sparse). A guy who had been following Clo around all night finally came over to our table (it was funny watching him do five walk bys before he came over). His name is Andy and he sells windows. I had a geek moment when I told him about my new windows, and we discussed argon gas. Clo was looking at me like "oh god, make her stop". Andy even said he had never met someone so excited about new windows.

Then we talked about a bunch of things ranging from the hadron collider to how to make a candle and Clo's grandfather to motorcycle racing. I thought she had a great observation, which was about how her grandfather used to take her everywhere even though in her culture it wasn't normal for little girls to be treated like boys. She said that because of that she always thought of herself as Clo, not "a girl". That's how I feel too. I hate it when people stereotype me because I'm a female.

Andy said he had never met such an interesting and accomplished group of women. Clo pointed out that we are all in good shape and could, between us, take on any physical challenge. Then Cam said we are all so smart that we could solve any problem with the intellectual capital between the three of us. Then I said "and, we could take over any third world country we wanted". There was a pause in the conversation. I don't know how I manage to say inappropriate things as often as I do.

Andy gave Clo his card. I have to find out if she called him...

No comments:

Post a Comment