Thursday, December 6, 2007

Things Not To Say When in Texas

So I have a rowdy group of "cowboys" that I am working with here in the city that...sleeps...a lot...which must be why everything but the Olive Garden and Taco Cabana close down at 6 PM sharp.

In any case, back in the day, 1993 to be exact, I was sentenced to work 8 months in what I consider hell on Earth. That's right, College Station, Texas. I was attacked by bull frogs the size of Johns Hopkins lacrosse players while trying to run on a soccer field my first morning in that god forsaken place. I barely escaped with my shins intact. In any case, I came to think of Texas as a place where EVERYONE carries a gun. Even 5 year olds.

So, I'm having lunch with these guys, 2007, expecting the normal conversation about .357 Pythons, .45s, etc. but they were all talking about video games, and specifically, the new Wii. I don't play video games. I used to get killed in pac man after about 20 seconds of playtime and was permanently banned from spending any money at Dave and Busters after I managed to crash my helicopter twice in 20 seconds while playing a game that cost $3. I was feeling a little left out of the conversation. So, in my usual smart ass way I announced "You know, last time I was in Texas, everyone was talking about their guns. Now all you guys want to talk about is playing with your Wiis."

A moment later my brain caught up with my mouth.

Dead silence resumed for the rest of lunch. I haven't been invited out with them since.

Cowards...

No comments:

Post a Comment