Monday, September 21, 2015

texan weekend

Saturday was pretty much a funny disaster start to finish. I got up at the crack of dawn to head down to Corpus Christi with the goal of either surfing or paddle boarding. Bu the red tide moved in so all the beaches were closed. I went to mustang island and started coughing uncontrollably because of the red tide and then I started having problems breathing. Then I decided to go to the aquarium but it was so packed there was no place to park in the parking lot. So then I decided to rent a bike but it turns out there was some bike ride going on and no one had any bikes to rent.

I headed to Padre Island north beach but that was also shut down due to the red tide. I ran an errand for one of the guys in my boot camp who has family on Padre Island (dropped some stuff off at the family's house - it was kind of weird). When I finally headed home I got caught in a huge rainstorm that was so bad I had to pull off on an exit (car was hydroplaning all over the place even though I was only going 20 MPH - I'm in a little chevy spark which generally sucks but did get up to almost 100 MPH on an empty stretch of highway but then it felt like it was going to fall apart so I slowed down).

Saturday evening I headed out for go carts but the place was jam packed and there was a huge wait to ride so I left. I was surprised so many people would go go carting on a saturday evening...guess I'm not the only one who never gets invited to parties...anyway, I spent a few hours at the San Antonio jazz fest and then headed back to the hotel.

Sunday morning I went to espada park for my kayak trip. The guide said the trip I signed up for would be too boring and recommended another trip but said I would have to do it solo. It was cool. There were at least 20 drops, the last one was 15 feet (at an angle, not vertical) which was really fun once I did it (I admit I was scared to go down it, especially because I couldn't see the whole drop so I had to figure out where to go to not hit rocks as I was dropping which is not the way you're supposed to do it). Yard sale averted, somehow.

 Also, I got caught in a current which took me under a tree that was in the water. It was like branch fireworks. When I arrived at the take out I took off my life vest and a huge branch fell out of the back of my vest.

I had to do 3 carries, which sucked because they were at the end of the paddle and I had a lot of water in my kayak. But, I made it.

Today in class someone said I smelled weird and I realized it was my shoes and my hair, from the river. I'm washing both tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment