Tuesday, September 22, 2015

los idiomas

In preparation to potentially buy a place in Spain, near surfing, because their real estate market is in a downturn, I'm taking a Spanish class on edX.

Hard to believe I was at one time fairly fluent in Spanish...I suck at it now...

I've just finished my first lesson. What I learned is there's this guy Nacho who's a lawyer. He tells EVERYONE he's a lawyer. Nacho, congratu-fucking-lations on passing the bar. You must think you're the only guy ever to be a lawyer.

He has a friend Virginia who talks really fast. I think that might be because she likes Nacho. But there's this other woman Queque that hangs out with Nacho too, and I think he likes her better because he keeps inviting her for ice cream. Though, Virginia is a bit overweight and perhaps has diabetes so he doesn't want to risk her having an insulin issues which she probably would if she ate ice cream.

If he asks Virginia to do his laundry I would say affirmatively he likes Queque and is just using Virginia.

There's also this woman Maria Jesus that everyone keeps talking about, but I haven't seen her yet. She's an architect. I'm glad they didn't make her a waitress. I would guess they wouldn't make her a waitress because Spain is pretty religious and it's one thing for him, Jesus, to be a blue collar fisherman or carpenter and quite another for him to be a waitress sweeping crumbs off tables and explaining the evening's specials.

He'd probably be good at recommending wine I would think.

When I took spanish in Managua I had to, as a class assignment, write a poem. My poem was:

Me gusta tocar la guitarra y cantar 
me gusta nadar en el mar 
pero no tengo brazos 
y mi boca está llena de arena

I like to play the guitar and sing 
I like to swim in the sea 
but I have no arms 
and my mouth is full of sand

I got an A for effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment