Sunday, September 6, 2015

...a word about a cool project I'm working on

This project I am working on with a colleague of mine (it was his idea, I'm just doing the architecture and the code, we work on it after hours because it's not part of my real job) which is a really cool project got a tentative green light. We're briefing the project sponsor next week. We briefed the CIO and the CTO on Thursday and they are on board. The CTO is the one who ultimately green lights us and he said "In all the years I've been doing this I have never had a project come through my review with as much done as what you've done. You've pretty much built the software." 

(I included the code and sql statements from my prototype in the briefing because I'm proud of them and yeah I did fucking build the software, hopefully the dev team will just have to cut and paste from my code to their dev environment).

The above mentioned briefing was after hours because the CIO and CTO were in meetings all day. We thought we'd get 30 minutes, we got an hour and a half. During the briefing there was a huge storm (we almost lost power). After the CTO and CIO left the major and I wrote up some quick notes and then headed out (it was almost 7 by this time and only the emergency lights were on in the building because who is at work that fucking late and good job [my work place] for being environmentally conscious. 

As my colleague and I  walked outside from our dark emergency light office the sun had that weird quality of super bright fakeness that happens after a big rain (I'll spare you the scientific explanation of that phenomenon unless you're interested - I learned about that in my meteorology class). And there was, seriously, the BIGGEST fucking rainbow I've ever seen in the sky. We both stopped walking as soon as we saw it and we both said "look at that fucking rainbow" at the same time. 

I hope it was a sign from the atmosphere saying "nitrogen, oxygen, and argon support you and we are the foundation of life so go fucking deploy some software and shit! and since we have your attention, fuck carbon dioxide, and thanks for recycling!" 

(I was, instead of the above sentence, going to make a joke about reflection, refraction and dispersion but then thought "I'm really tired, I've written a lot of code this week, and that joke probably isn't funny even to a meteorologist")

The best part is the software acronym is the same as my dad's initials. And if it works it's going to be a big deal...

I've spent the past 4 weekends working on the prototype and sad to say went to bed at 8:20 on Friday because I was so tired...

No comments:

Post a Comment