Sunday, May 3, 2015

asian bondage

I went to the shibari art show, knotty by nature, last night. Yawn.


The women getting tied up hung from this. Errol's wife was like "fuck that, let the guy get tied up and hang from a beam".

This is the only picture I took for this art show - I didn't want to put naked women on my blog.
The best part of the show was getting to meet more neighbors and Errol's wife, who works in Hollywood casting commercials and stuff. We were kindred spirits who both found the bondage shit insulting to women (we walked out during the first performance). We stood in the front courtyard and talked about a lot of things from the penal system to health care.

The performers had to take an hour break between sets (I assume it's quite exhausting to be tied up and hung) so a bunch of people from the show joined Errol's wife and I in the courtyard. One woman asked why we left and when we told her it was insulting she said "You have to be very dominant to allow yourself to be submissive" and I was like "what bullshit" and Errol's wife said "do you really believe that?"

Errol and his wife have lived in this neighborhood since 1984. She told me about planting petunias in her front yard while worrying about being shot. Her place kept getting tagged so she stopped some gang members on the street one day and asked them to stop. The next day she went outside to find a beautiful unicorn spray painted on the front of the building. Unfortunately the city painted over it before she could ask them to save it.

There was an almost full moon last night, which was nice. As people left the courtyard to watch the rest of the show, and I got ready to walk home since I had to get up early today, 20 scooters drove down the street. It's hard to explain but it had a magical feel to it, like seeing phosphorous in the ocean.

I'm sure I'll be hanging out with Errol's wife again. She said I could stop by any time to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment