Thursday, December 18, 2014

finally, a success in the kitchen

Today I had to go into the office for "healthy snacks day" (no, I'm not in kindergarten). I have been stressing for a week about what to bring. I decided to make oatmeal raspberry cookie bars because they are easy and usually are edible.

The VP brought sushi that was store bought. One male colleague brought nothing and the other male colleague brought these weird potato chips made by injecting the potato with air or some shit. Even dipping them in the hummus he brought could not correct the styrofoam taste.

My admin brought gingerbread that she had made in the microwave (chewy....beyond chewy).

I mention this to say, in the healthy snack competition, I didn't have a ton of competition.

In any case, after I got home I received the following email from the VP:

VP: Your pastry was awesome! You left before I tried them and then exclaimed "who made this?" Delicious! You have a food future as a pastry chef.

 (question: are cookie bars pastries? I honestly don't know)

Me: Thanks! I'm not sure about the future in food though. Those oatmeal bars are the first thing I've made this year that was edible. [My admin] is helping me with my cooking skills.

VP: Well...stick to pastry as you obviously have a knack for it. Thanks for bringing them in!

I will also mention that besides giving me the nicest gift bag (travel size sanitation wipes, a box of band aids, a freezable gel pack for my knee that can get through airport security, a small pen that fits in my back pack, and a stress ball) she also printed out the above email and put it in a little frame so I can hang it in my kitchen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment