Wednesday, June 4, 2014

think pink!

I got my hair re-pinked today (thanks for the gift certificate mom!!!!). Since pink is what's called a "fashion" color it fades more quickly than normal dye. But hopefully since I've stopped washing my hair it will stay bright a little longer.

very pink! looks the same on my hair!

I'm 44 - I can do whatever the fuck I want now
A note on not washing my hair...Jess kept telling me about how she only washes her hair when she gets color put in but I thought, since she has really long hair, maybe that's why her hair didn't look dirty (we have similarly curly hair and you would never know she didn't wash her hair if she didn't tell you). And I did stop washing my hair for almost an entire year when I lived in Athens in 1998 - 99, mostly due to the water shortage, and only washed it after I slept in the sahara desert and got sand in my scalp. But I was swimming / scuba diving practically every day in the ocean.

Anyway, when I got pink in my hair a month ago I decided to do an experiment and not wash it for as long as possible. Then I did some research about not washing hair.

Personally, I've found everything those articles said to be true. I used to have an itchy, flaky scalp (thanks, aging scalp, for that) and my hair would come out in big clumps. Plus, it always looked dry, even though I never blow dry it and use a really good, mild shampoo.

What I do is rinse my hair with water...

...one sec, forgot I was boiling water in the kitchen and the pot is making a horrible noise...

...every other day or every third day and then I apply conditioner (and rinse it out, obviously, or maybe not so thought I would mention to do that).

My hair feels like little kid hair. My curls are healthier. And my scalp is itch and flake free. And that's after not washing for just 5 weeks. The first two weeks were a tad bit rough (until I found out about the rinse with conditioner thing). And my hair was put to the ultimate test standing over frying dough and shrimp / chicken at the jazz fest. It did not retain any frying smells after I rinsed it. And a guy at work complimented me on the way my hair smelled (I don't know why, but when I'm in an elevator with men they sniff me - weird, I know - I was once in an elevator at work with this totally uptight religious guy and he was like "SNNNNNNNNNNNNIIIIFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" and then said "I love your perfume!" - I had to laugh because my perfume is made with cannabis extract - it doesn't get you high, it just smells nice but he probably would have freaked out if he had known - btw, the one product I use occasionally in my hair smells like coconut, maybe that's why my colleague liked it - also, I was only taking the elevator because he wouldn't take the stairs).

Anyway, if you're bored, not washing your hair is a fun experiment to try. Think of all the money you'll save. I hardly put any product on my hair these days because I don't need to tame frizzy curls or try to make it look less dry and crap.

Now I'm off to continue this really cool algebra class I'm taking (watching it to get ideas for a book I've been thinking to write called the math castle) and eat some spaghetti with Martha Stewart baked cherry tomato sauce that I just made (hope it's as good as the reviews claimed - it was so simple to make it seems like it shouldn't taste good.).

No comments:

Post a Comment