Wednesday, April 9, 2014

my brother advises me on how to avoid shocks

me (to my brothers):

When I walk on my treadmill (in my running shoes) I keep getting shocked. Also, twice when I've touched my laptop the shock was bad enough to shut it down.

Any ideas?

I walked 10 miles at work yesterday...

my brother Steve (that's Dr. Steve to you, I can still call him just Steve):

Rubbing a rubber balloon on your head generates static electricity.  A treadmill is basically a very big version of this.  There are some static generators that are a rubber piece moving along a metal bowl in dry air.  Know any place with dry air?  

Your treadmill should be properly grounded and oiled that will reduce friction, and therefore electron exchange.  But if you are doing 10 miles a day and you are overwhelming it then you need to go to other measures: Look at #1: http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Static-Electricity

Consider a personal ground, before you fry your computer: http://www.overclockers.com/personal-grounding-are-you-and-your-components-static-safe/ or http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Anti-Static-Wrist-Adjustable-Grounding/dp/B00004Z5D1/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397060633&sr=1-1&keywords=grounding+strap

Potentially your house has a poor ground.  I don't have an earth-ground tester, but many electricians do (they are only around $4k, we all should have one). Rather than hire an electrician to test your ground and install a rod, it might be cheaper to add a new grounding rod, just make sure that it's not in soil, that it's grounded in rock.

Every time I get my house fixed up to the point where I think I'm done, someone comes up with something else...now I'm worried about my house not being grounded properly...

No comments:

Post a Comment