Thursday, July 18, 2013

things I don't need to see (don't read if you're eating)

Yesterday evening the fun hog and I went for a bike ride and then decided to check out the new patio at Illegal Pete's on Broadway.

We went out to the patio and ordered beers (happy hour, $2.50). Then the fun hog graciously offered to get us some food. While we had been drinking our beer I noticed a youngish (20s) blond haired kid in normal looking clothes who walked onto the patio with a huge can of budweiser. He sat at a table in the middle of the patio. Seemed normal so I didn't pay any more attention to him....

Until I heard this terrible noise. It sounded like someone trying to fill a bathtub. I looked behind me and the blond kid had his head down on the table and was puking, not violently, just kind of...like the puke was rolling out of his mouth like a waterfall.

I walked up to the bar and tapped the bartender on the arm. "There's a kid puking over there" I said, pointing at the kid. "Oh, I just clocked out" she said. Three other people who were sitting on the patio started complaining (kid was still puking). A guy who worked there came out, took a look at the kid, went back inside, and busied himself at the cash register.

I went back up to the bar and was like "you HAVE to do something". Families were coming in and the kids were running by puke boy. Plus, I was not really excited about eating a burrito while someone puked behind me. The bartender made a phone call and around that time FH came out with the food.

I said "Let's face the other way and don't look behind you." He was like "You mean at the guy covered in puke?" Um, yeah. At some point the kid was removed and the puke was washed away. Overall I think the incident was handled badly by the staff. It took forever for them to respond and do anything. The off duty bartender said "oh, he was probably just drinking and had too much." The on duty bartender said "he was probably out with friends".

But if that were the case where were the friends? If he was super drunk why did he sit in the middle of the patio instead of at the edge where he would be less obvious? The off duty bartender said "I don't recognize him and I've been on duty all day." No shit. He wasn't even drinking a beer they served.

Granted I'm not great at understanding people but to me it seemed like a cry for help. This kid walks into a restaurant with alcohol and is so inebriated he's puking all over himself. Except for the bartender going over to him no one tried to help him.

I postulated to the fun hog that he was depressed about something, obviously feeling alone, and went to the restaurant to get some attention, even if negative. I hope he was taken to a hospital if that was the case and that he got help, or is getting help. The fun hog said "you just made up a whole story about this kid's life and maybe he was out with friends, had too much to drink, wanted to get some food, but didn't quite make it." Maybe that's the case.

I did nothing to help him. I don't know if I should feel bad about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment