Monday, July 15, 2013

I'm not the only one who thinks my swamp cooler is an asshole

A guy named Bill showed up first thing Thursday morning to fix my swamp cooler since everything I had tried had failed and my only option was to start drilling holes, which I didn't feel comfortable doing.

It turns out the reason the pulley kept loosening and falling off is because the set screw is supposed to screw into a little piece of metal called the key that goes under the set screw.
My key had somehow gone missing. No idea what happened to it. And unfortunately it's not something you can go out and buy. Bill made a key out of some metal bits he had in his truck. I don't think he realized that his voice carried through the vent that goes from the swamp cooler into my house because he was cursing at my swamp cooler and he seemed like the kind of guy who wouldn't curse if he thought someone would hear him. He called my swamp cooler a "fucking thing!" and "piece of shit". I also heard him pounding it with his wrench.

It works now.

The suck part is the pillow bearing (that round metal thing behind the pulley) is shot to shit and the rod the pulley is mounted on is warped from when the pulley came loose and those two things can't be fixed.

Bottom line, I have to get a new swamp cooler next year. Oh well. I learned a lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment