Friday, May 17, 2013

Mazatlan (can't make the thing over the last "a")

Ever wake up and think to yourself  "I'm fucking tired and burned out and need a vacation and I'm turning 43 next week and still don't know how to fucking surf"?

Me too.

That's why I decided on Thursday to go to Mazatlan to learn to surf. I'm leaving tomorrow. Luckily my manager and projects I'm supporting took the news well - normally I have to schedule vacation 6 months in advance. One project manager sent me an email that said "Look out sharks! Franki + surfboard = shark injury".

Ha. Ha. Ha. It's not easy being an uncoordinated jew.

I realized talking to my friend Cam last night that the last vacation I took where I didn't do any work related stuff was December 2000. But, I was on crutches and had just had knee surgery so it wasn't a super great vacation.

In other news I decided to buy a bathing suit since I don't have one and they're kind of critical to laying on the beach and looking good. I let Kristin at swim n sport talk me into buying a bikini (Cherry Creek mall, she is so awesome - figured out first try what size I needed and I bought the first thing I tried on). I have never, ever, worn a bikini. Chaos may ensue. But it's cute, hot pink with little ruffly flowers on it (I didn't buy this bottom though, I got this one).

I look like a fucking birthday cake, fuck yeah!!!!

My manager from two companies ago died unexpectedly of a heart attack on Tuesday. He was just a few years older than me, in great shape, and the day before he died we were exchanging emails about doing a century bike ride together in California (I'd like to think I was somewhat of an influence on his daughter, who is studying engineering).

Life is short. Fuck it. Take a vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment