Friday, August 3, 2012

RubberizeIt

Today I bought a quart of liquid rubber. Seriously. It's made by a company called RubberizeIt.

While I was in California this week the pan of my swamp cooler sprung a leak. It was a ring sized hole (the white spot in the middle of all the rust):

That sucked because it means I have no way to cool my house except for a fan. So, after doing some online research, I found RubberizeIt, watched the YouTube vid on how to fix a swamp cooler, was like "fuck yeah I can do that", and ordered everything I need to bomb proof my swamp cooler pan.

But, the liquid rubber doesn't get here until next Friday.

So I looked through my tools and stuff and found a suction cup I had saved (it's supposed to be used to hang a razor in the bathroom). I trimmed it up and then filled the cup part with latex sealant. Then I scraped and sanded the metal around the hole, and stuck the cup over the hole and covered the suction cup with more latex sealant:


It kind of looks like a latex nipple.

Finally, I covered the underside of the hole with more latex sealant:

I'm going to let the latex cure for at least 12 hours, then I'm going to fill the pan with water and see what happens. Even though the latex is technically not rated for underwater I figure it will last until the RubberizeIt gets here. And I use that sealant on the plug for the swamp cooler and it lasts for the whole summer. My dad thinks it will work.

I'm hoping with the liquid rubber I can keep my swamp cooler for another few years. It's going to cost about $2000 to replace it since I have to hire a crane to hoist it up on the roof.

Go me with my redneck engineering!



No comments:

Post a Comment