Friday, September 16, 2011

I can't make this incompetence up

I have to teach a makeup class for that class in August that went badly due to hardware and software issues.

You would think my company would take resolving the issues with the laptops seriously. The class starts next week and I'm still not sure the problem is fixed. Total nightmare.

These are excerpts from actual emails (I've bolded the really insane parts):

Me:
Can you follow up on the laptop problem or direct me to the person I need to talk to about what happened in the class with the laptops? We need to make sure the issue is resolved.

Training coordinator:
I have sent the notes you provided to our IT team, to investigate the issue surrounding the performance of the laptops.  No news yet.

IT (4 days later):
The systems have 3gb of RAM and one processor so that should have worked.
I tested the image on  four systems:
1.  3GB ram xp  (used for class)  -  1:04 min to boot  to vm image
2.  3 GB ram  xp (used for class) - 1:00 min to boot to vm image
3.  3.2 ram xp   two processors - 51.5 sec to boot vm image
4.  4 GB ram  two processors - Win7 -  30 sec to boot to vm image


Me:

Testing the image is critical to diagnosing whether the problem is the image or the hardware. Just testing the bootup time for the VMWare image doesn't address the problem.

IT (3 days later):
I could not test the VMWare image because I don't have the password.

Me:
The password is (blahblah). It was on the documentation sent with the VMWare image.

IT (2 days later):
I have done everything I have time to complete.   I wish I had time to test the other performance issues but I have to start the builds for next week.

(basically, IT is going to build the machines without knowing if the problems are fixed - and all they did was time how long it took for the VMWare to boot up - adding the numbers, that means they did 5 minutes of testing).

Training developer:
Are the laptops still available or have they been reconfigured? If they are available, can we do one or two tests as suggested by Franki?

Training coordinator:
If you'd like to order one laptop (the same as used for the class) pre-configured with the image than an asset request can be arranged so that you can test it. 

Me:
If you need me to do the testing you'll have to send the laptop to my hotel. I am currently on an engagement in Houston.

NOTE: Testing the laptops is NOT my job.

IT:
We can only ship a laptop to your residence.

Me:
I won't be home until a week before the new class and if there are problems that only gives us 2 days to fix them before you ship the new machines.

Training Developer:
You can send the laptop to me and I will test it.

(NOTE: testing IS the training developer's job)

Training Developer:
I received the Computer to test, but there is no VM image on it.... Please advice (sic).

IT:
I did not realize you needed the VMWare image. Only IT can access or download VMWare images.

Amazingly, with all these people involved, I still am not sure the problem is fixed. Next week may be a bad week...

No comments:

Post a Comment