Wednesday, December 10, 2008

and just when things seemed to be calming down...

This evening at my client site, just when I thought things couldn't get worse, a bitter male employee took down all of the company's servers. I heard the sys admins over the cube wall (from my new cube, which is the old cube of the brawler, who keeps walking by glaring at me because he thinks that I asked for his cube forcing him to be moved, great, guess I'm next on the hit list) tracking the employee trying to figure out what he was doing. Then everyone started yelling "we're going down!" like we were on the fucking Titanic or something.



All hell broke loose and I realized sitting next to the lead sys admin was a bad thing. The web site went down and there were about 20 people in my cube area. The CIO came running in, pointed at me, and yelled "get her the FUCK out of here!"

The network take down was poorly timed since auditors were at the site to give a rating on their network reliability. The good part is the models I've been working on out here could be used to show what applications were critical and which servers needed to be brought up first. Though, my customer just looked at me when I told him that.

So I went on mandatory break outside by request of my customer POC, who promised to come get me and let me back in when things calmed down. It was about to rain. And me without my umbrella, in a white shirt. It did start raining so I sat down on a table that had an umbrella on it. The customer came out 15 minutes later and said "you need to take your things and leave - just work from your hotel". I was like whatever bitch, 9 hours in this looney bin is enough for me, and I headed home. Did I just say that? I meant, I headed to the hotel.



Where, as I was smoking outside, I was invited to take an "exciting ride" on the Crowne Plaza Miami International Airport hotel shuttle's newly installed ramp for wheel chairs. I was told it was "free" and that I would "really enjoy it". So I stood on the ramp with a hotel employee and we were hoisted up into the bus. Then we pretended to be in a wheel chair so the guys could practice strapping the chair in. Then we were lowered off the lift. Whee.



Not the first time a man has promised me an exciting ride and failed to deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment