Tuesday, April 1, 2008

My Finger Saga Continues

After much nagging from my customer and Clint, I decided to go see a doctor again about my finger. It still looks pretty bad.

The x-ray showed that I accidentally somehow re-broke my finger. The original break was pretty clean. This one was messy and might require a plate and pin to hold the bone together.

I am assuming that the break happened either when I fell skiing, or when I was carrying a box of manuals to my customer's site, or when some asspipe from United Airlines dropped a heavy box on my left hand. It's hard to say. I have been gifted, or cursed, depending on how you look at it, with a high pain threshold. Which is good since I am allergic to every drug except red wine.

But that leads to some problems when dealing with the medical community. This morning my doctor yelled at me for 5 minutes about my finger. He yelled at me when I couldn't pin point the moment of the break, saying "How can you not know when you broke your finger?" To which I can only respond I broke the tip off my femur and then ran competitively on it for 10 years before the break was properly diagnosed by my PT. I was told by 3 separate doctors that I didn't appear to be in enough pain given the fact that my leg was broken so they never took my injury seriously. I broke my right arm and didn't realize it until 2 weeks later when the swelling went down and I realized my arm was twisted. I broke my front teeth and almost ripped my lip off my face but walked 3 miles home carting my mountain bike without realizing anything was wrong with me.

I was also yelled at for going skiing, even though I figured after 5 weeks my finger should be fixed up. My doctor asked me if I really had so little common sense. Um, yeah. I'm an engineer. We aren't exactly known for "common sense". At least I wasn't running around with a key tied to a kite in the middle of a lightening storm.

So now I'm looking at possibly having a plate and pin put in my finger. I am eating broccoli and spinach every day to see if I can head off surgery by eating super foods. Every night before I go to bed I'm visualizing my bone healing. Best case scenario I end up with a weird looking finger. To match the scars on my chin, my weird looking knee, the scar on my heel, the broken nose, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment