Wednesday, December 24, 2014

more food adventures...

I've been working with my chef neighbor on my cooking skills this week. I realized that maybe I can't learn to cook the way a normal person can, and I have learned more failing on recipes than succeeding. One of the things we did yesterday was to go through a recipe I made that failed (that horrible chicken) and figure out why the recipe failed (turned out I was right about the vinegar and red wine not being a great match for chicken, and the chicken smothering the vegetables so they didn't cook).

After going through one recipe I went through 20 more with her and tried to predict whether it would be a good recipe. I guessed right most of the time. So today I decided to make a recipe for enchilada orzo. It's vegetarian.
smells good at least! will know in 3 hours if it sucks
And I also decided to make a spinach quiche:
actually, it's two quiches - I didn't read the directions right and got normal crusts instead of deep dish crusts
There were a few disasters in the making. First, I didn't realize the frozen spinach was supposed to be defrosted. Then, because I was splitting the recipe into two quiches, I didn't have enough eggs so I had to add an egg to each quiche after I poured the original eggs in. Well, the new eggs didn't blend with the old eggs so I had to kind of whisk them in which is not easy to do in a already filled pie crust. I think it will be okay though.
they look good, and smell good, they have to cool for 10 minutes and then I'll see if they taste good
I also was worried the timing would be off because I used regular pie crusts instead of the deep dish one...

Well, just had a piece of quiche. It's fantastic! I think I'll bring one over to my chef neighbor's house tonight. She invited a bunch of us in the neighborhood over for a christmas turkey dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment