Monday, December 22, 2014

dinner party, take two

I invited some friends for dinner this evening. I made homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs (recipe from the Jewish - Sicillian cookbook my dad gave me), plus a loaf of bread.

First, let me mention, it was not only edible but really good! I'm shocked.

gross - raw meat - the secret ingredient for these meatballs is to use wonder bread instead of bread crumbs
frying the meatballs - I only put a few in the pan at once to make sure I didn't burn them
I froze half the meatballs and put the rest in the sauce
spaghetti sauce - I added red wine because no Italian makes spaghetti sauce without wine
loaf of french bread, got the recipe from high altitude cooking blog - it is a "can't fuck it up" recipe
for the first time ever in my life a loaf of bread I made rose
I called my neighbor, who is a chef, to see if the loaf was cooked - it was!!! - and she brought me a huge piece of homemade coconut cake, made from a REAL coconut that she grated
The only problem with this great dinner? None of my guests have shown up yet. I know two of them went skiing today. Maybe the rest were scared off by stories of my last dinner disaster...

No comments:

Post a Comment