Saturday, May 31, 2014

with apologies to the Blair Witch Project

On Friday I and two of my colleagues made a movie. It's about solution architecture which is what I work on. I've been trying to think up ways to encourage people to follow a standard practice and thought, since they seem bored with my power points, multimedia would be the way to go.

It's horribly acted and likely only funny to anyone who is an (IT) architect that has also seen the Blair Witch Project. You can see the fading pink in my hair (have to do a refresh next week). I am eternally grateful that my colleagues agreed to join me in this project.

I used wondershare to edit the video since we filmed it on an iPhone, iMovies sucks, and I don't have a Mac. I've never edited a video in my life so had no idea what I was doing. I think it came out pretty well except for a bad splice at the end (learned a lesson about having some pauses in the vid in case you have to edit it). It's pretty obvious I spent the whole movie on the verge of hysterical laughter. My colleague Pete kept coming up with one liners that I wasn't expecting and that I couldn't laugh at. We both almost made each other laugh a few times in the movie.

Anyway, not heading to hollywood, but had a ton of fun and plan to make more movies. The movie took us about 20 minutes (including set up and practicing each scene) to make.

I also did a vlog after the movie about making the movie and the ideas behind what we did. I sent the above vid, and the vlog, to a senior VP in my company (I made the vlog for him). He should get it on Monday at which point I'll either be praised or fired. I'll try to post some quick clips from the movie later this week.


1 comment: