Saturday, August 20, 2011

now I'm a published author

One of my students came into class on Thursday and said "are you a marine biologist?" I was like, um, no. And he said "well that's weird, because yesterday I googled your name and the first result was someone with your name who wrote a book about marine biology, and it's not like you have a common name".

I thought for a minute and then said "wait, that must be this anthology that's publishing a story I wrote about great whites". The student looked at me for a second and then said "so, you forgot you wrote a book?" I had to explain to him that I had just written one story and that the anthology wasn't published yet. He asked how I came to write a story about great whites and when I said it was a hobby he just shook his head.

That caused some interest in the class so I showed them some pictures of great whites. Now three of the students want to go on vacation with me.

Here's the link to the anthology. Oddly, if my student hadn't googled me I would have never known there was already information about the book out there.

In other news Rock & Ice turned down my gimps on rock story because they said that it "didn't have a point". I guess I could rewrite it to be an inspirational story about amputees that keep climbing despite their injuries. But, I'm not going to do that. I have too much respect for the amputees.


No comments:

Post a Comment