Wednesday, November 17, 2010

sex in the library

I had a writer's group meeting on Saturday in the library. There were two new 40 something women in the group and they both brought stuff to read.

They read first, as is the custom. One is writing a book about dating, and her 5 pages were so overdone with sex that after reading her first paragraph aloud, as is the custom, the group leader suggested we read the rest in silence. One guy had to make a comment on the piece, and he started out by saying "I'm going to pretend this is a work of fiction, otherwise I won't be able to look at you".

The second woman is also writing about dating, but her book is really man-bashing-ish. She spent three of her 5 pages describing the toilet of a man she was dating. It was really, really detailed and gross. Then the next two pages described a sexual encounter that left a lot to (hee) be desired. I was just like oh god damn are you kidding me. No one had much in the way of comments except for me, who said politely I thought the book was a little negative.

After the group meeting I was invited to have a drink with some of the inner circle. They all think my book is pretty good and that I have a shot at getting published. One of the guys calls me "action figure Franki". It made me feel good that some writers who are real writers for a living, that have been published, think my book doesn't suck.

So I spammed some more agents on Sunday. We'll see what happens. I'm feeling less doubtful now, after having a depressing few days in Banff.

BTW, if anyone reading this lives around Banff, while I was driving to the airport I was listening to a radio station 88.1 FM and heard this cool song. I googled the radio stations in Canada and only found one 88.1 out of Toronto. I sent the program manager an email offering to donate to the radio station if he could tell me the name of the song (I was unable to find it on google when I googled the lyrics I remembered). The fucker never responded back. So maybe I emailed the wrong radio station. If anyone listens to that station and knows the station identifier I would be eternally grateful if you would leave me a comment with that information.

No comments:

Post a Comment