Saturday, May 15, 2010

Dasan

I've been assigned a "personal assistant" at the hotel, who's name is Dasan. He's a very nice and helpful guy (he's my maid from the previous entry, today he gave me a card with his name on it).

You don't realize how ridiculously spoiled most people are here until you end up at an upscale place like the intercon. Today Dasan asked me, as he was cleaning my room (he usually cleans mine first but today was running late), why I never use the bathtub (my room has a separate bath and shower stall). I thought about that for a moment, since my tub is really big. I said "I guess because I don't have any bubble bath". A few minutes after he finished cleaning my room, he knocked on my door and handed me a bottle of bubble bath.

Then he came into my room and mentioned that the reading light on the side of the bed I don't sleep on was not working. It wasn't working because the light on the side I do sleep on had gone out and I swapped them. Having once tried for two weeks at the merid to get a light bulb replaced, finally having to go out and buy a new one, I figured it was the easiest thing to do. Dasan presented me with a light bulb in a box, as if it were a bottle of wine. I wasn't sure what to do so I peered at the box and said "very nice! my dad works for GE".

He wrinkled his brow and then said "but is the wattage alright for madam?" I said "it's fine" having paid no attention as to what it was. He said "we use this for soft light, but if madam wants to read, I will bring a different wattage". I assured him I wouldn't read on that side of the bed and he replaced the bulb. He went out to his cart AGAIN and brought me two large pillows. I have 8 pillows in my room so I wasn't sure what he was doing, and then he pointed out to me that they are more firm and I can use them when I'm propped up in bed reading instead of piling the 8 squishy pillows I have against the head board.

He stowed them under my sofa, informed me that he was taking tomorrow off, and inquired as to whether or not I would be alright. I assured him I would be and then he stood at the door. I was busy sending emails so didn't notice him until he cleared his throat. "If there is nothing else for madam I will go" he said. It was weird. Like, what am I, the queen or something? I said "There's nothing else. Enjoy your day off!" and, seriously, he bowed and exited my room.

Also, I went to the gym today right after the beach and accidentally tracked some sand in on my shoes. A cleaner in the gym was literally SWEEPING the treadmill behind me while I was running.

I need to get into a different frame of mind because I am back at work tomorrow, and I can't get anyone but the tea boy to do a damn thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment