Tuesday, September 22, 2009

more meridien madness

Saturday

I woke up at 7 am because my hotel phone was ringing. Of course I didn't answer it but instead decided to get up, eat some oatmeal, and read my book in bed.

An hour later I heard some fumbling outside my hotel door, and then a swishing sound. I went over to the door to see what was going on, and there was an envelope addressed to "Annie". Always curious to read other people's mail, I opened the letter. It was actually for me. The letter stated I had to move out of my room by 10 am "to accommodate another guest".

I figured this was a trick to get me out of my nice room into a room I wouldn't like so I called the front desk. They told me there was a handicap guest coming to the hotel that needed my room. Apparently they had asked all the other people on my hall and no one was willing to move. I agreed to move and they gave me a new room number.

I packed up my stuff and went to the beach. When I came back I picked up a key for my new room, went in, and discovered the air conditioning in my room didn't work. I discovered this because it was like a million billion degrees in my room.

They sent someone up to fix the problem. I went to the gym for two hours. Came back, and waited another two hours. The room was still boiling hot. So I packed up my stuff again, and this time was relocated to a really nice room one floor above with a private balcony overlooking the beach. Very nice.

Except, the hot water didn't work. I took a shower around midnight and almost froze.

Sunday

Before going to the gym in the morning, I asked the front desk to fix the water problem. It wasn't fixed by the end of the day. So they made me pack my stuff up again, at 6 pm, and moved me back to the room with the non-working air-conditioning. The bell hop who was hauling my stuff around turned the thermostat down to 12 degrees C and the room cooled off. Somewhat.

Monday

I decided living with cold water was better than living with no air-conditioning. So I packed up my stuff, again, and moved back to my room on the third floor. After I moved I realized that the water temperature knobs were installed incorrectly and realized that was why I had no hot water.

So now I have a room I like, with a private balcony, that's quieter than my last room, and won't have to move until I leave for Canada at the end of October.

If I could only get them to clean out my mini bar so I had a refrigerator...

No comments:

Post a Comment