Tuesday, May 5, 2009

orange you glad it isn't Monday anymore?

I'm always bitching about my clients, so I thought I might mention that I am working with a client this week who, though the project is a shit show and there isn't enough time on the engagement to get things done, showed me two very thoughtful kindnesses today.

First, we were meeting with a team with whom my client has to coordinate. My client brought in doughnuts and bagels, and when I walked into the conference room where our meeting was to be held I saw he also brought in a huge bag of clementines. Last time I was with this client I ate 8 clementines over the course of 6 hours. He remembered. Not only that, he remembered I don't eat doughnuts and that I won't eat bagels unless they are toasted first.

The second thing he did, after I talked the group into having a working lunch instead of breaking, is, when we were ordering pizzas, he asked me what I wanted since he knows I'm picky. Everyone called that pizza the Franki pizza. One of the guys, who is an admiral, made fun of my pizza and then ate two pieces of it. "The Franki pizza wasn't so bad, was it?" I asked him, and he said "Yeah, I feel healthier already", then he rolled his eyes.

Which brings up a funny side note...since I'm in the middle of nowhere WVA there's very few places to eat. So last night I went to the restaurant where we ordered pizza from today to get dinner. I had called ahead, but when I showed up at the restaurant they didn't have my order. The guy finally figured out I called another restaurant with the same name, but that restaurant was located about 70 miles away. He called them and cancelled my order for me. Anyway, he's the one that brought the pizzas today, and as soon as he saw me he was like "Franki! You called the right restaurant this time!"

I refused to explain to everyone why he said that because I knew I would get teased for the rest of my life about it.

1 comment: