Sunday, February 15, 2009

just like a woman

My mom and I just had a discussion about women with technical degrees and how it doesn't usually make a difference what your academic pedigree is, people still treat you like a dumb blonde (my mom is here at my sister's also, and she was trying to console me about fucking up Nat's homework).

Back in the early 2000s I was being considered to work as an engineer on a major project for the gov. It was before I got sick so I looked really, really young for my age. Anyway, I had to interview with this bloviating asshole who was the head of engineering to figure out where in the group I was going to be placed.

This stupid cunt of a manager (typical, woman managing an engineering organization without an engineering degree, making incompetent decisions and making us all with the XY look bad), who was invited to the meeting because she was having an affair with the head of engineering (I got to work at 530 one morning and saw her giving him a blow job in his car, I guess it's good to be the "head" of engineering), said I could be "her assistant". I was like um, no. But then my boss was like "oh, that's a wonderful idea!" because he really wanted me to work on the project. Fucker.

So I went to a meeting with her and the head, thinking they would be requiring some technical expertise. Instead, these two assholes asked me to take notes. Seriously. I was so pissed I sat through the entire meeting and didn't listen to anything that was said. I drew sharks in my engineering notebook.

Finally the head of engineering looked over at me and said "Did you get that?"
I was like "What?"
He said "Haven't you been taking meeting minutes?"
I said "No."
He was like "Why not?"
I said "As soon as you say something important I'll write it down."

He tried to get me removed from the project, but I was instead given a position as a deputy director for the design groups (that due to a tantrum I threw in the war room, which led to the projector room incident, a story for another day). The head of engineering was removed 4 months later for being incompetent. The twat stayed and started fucking someone else. But he was in hardware so I didn't care.

In that position, for the record, I had my own "graphic artist" to make sure my power point presentations didn't suck. When I left that job he drew a cartoon picture of me swimming next to a great white, which I still have on the wall in my home office.

No comments:

Post a Comment