Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Anniversary of the VA Tech Shootings

Today is the anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings. It's strange to think that the little cow town college I went to in 1988 will now be known as the location of one of the worst school shootings in US history. It's also strange to think that my friend and instructor Joe lost his father in this senseless act of violence. I also have a sibling who works at Tech who was affected by the shooting.

My friend Trina forwarded an email to me, which said in part:

At the dedication of our permanent April 16th Memorial last August, SGA President Adeel Khan summed it up exceptionally well…

Take time to remember the legacies, remember the dreams and remember the talent that our community has lost. I hope you are inspired to work harder to honor the 32. Share you talents with the world for the 32. Achieve your dreams for the 32. Be more compassionate, friendly and thoughtful for the 32. Be better, for the 32.

In 2008, we remember the 32; we are thankful for the survivors; and we are proud we share together that incredible Hokie spirit.

It's a little cheesy but at the same time maybe someone will read it and be inspired to make a change in their life or someone else's.

Also, I recently received an email from an old high school friend named Con Way. The last time I saw him we were laying on a bed in I think it was the Sheraton hotel at our 10 year reunion laughing about torturing freshmen at running camp. He said in one email to me:

I read this quote or story once about waking up every morning and looking in the mirror and thinking every morning if you saw yourself on the street about to get hit by a bus would give up your life for the person by pushing them out of the way of the bus? In other words would you give up your life for the person you are today? The answer should be yes b/c that's what you've done. Every time I say this story it sounds so circular but it makes sense to me. I mean I've sacrificed everything in my life to have my current life. It better be what I want to do and if not then I should change it.

Anyway, just throwing some random thoughts out there for contemplation today...

No comments:

Post a Comment