Friday, February 13, 2015

more illustrations from the legend of the croco-diamond

While in Costa Rica last week I did some more drawings for my kids book (here are three others I did).

Two of the surf instructors were watching me as I sketched, probably thinking I was a great artist capturing the landscape. When they saw my pictures they laughed (not unkindly). They were like "why don't you get someone who knows how to draw to draw the pictures?" and "do they have drawing classes in the US?" and "are you purposely drawing so it looks like a kid drew the pictures?"

I tried to explain that I had to draw the pictures because all the characters in the book are made up animals so only I know what they look like. I also said I thought the book would be easier to sell if people had an idea of what a kangawrong and a croco-diamond look like. One instructor suggested I rewrite the book to be about real animals so I wouldn't have to do any drawings.

Mmm hmm...

Anyway, here are the drawings:

the giant man with his umbrellears and the kangawrong with its fedora

the croco-diamond in the purple hammock

the octopeau with his stolen mittens

the croco-diamond giving mittens to the whitey biteys

the kangapult made from the zippy shoe skate

No comments:

Post a Comment