Thursday, November 20, 2014

if you love animals, recycle your toilet paper tubes

One of my neighbors has decided to start hosting dinners so people who live on our block can meet each other and hang out. The first neighborhood dinner was Tuesday. A couple who just moved into a house a few doors down from me came (unfortunately a few other neighbors who were invited couldn't make it).

The couple, Mike and B, have just moved to denver after living overseas for 2 years in new zealand and asia. It was interesting to hear about their experiences since I've not been to most of the places where they lived. They are self described urban hippies, and at some point the conversation turned to vegetarianism (my neighbor made a dinner that was mostly meat). Mike and B hardly eat any meat, and B was commenting how most people have no idea where meat comes from and how meat gets wasted in the US.

So I mentioned something about eating squirrels since I hate them and want the squirrels in my backyard to die. Mike agreed with me but B got upset and said I shouldn't kill animals even if they are annoying squirrels. My neighbor agreed with B and then recounted the following story which I found hilarious.

My neighbor was watering his front yard when he noticed a squirrel running around with a toilet paper tube stuck on its head. Being an animal lover and all that shit, he tried to coax the squirrel over to him so he could pull the toilet paper tube off its head.

Unfortunately he startled the squirrel right as it got close enough for him to remove the tube, and the squirrel went darting into the street and was almost immediately run over by a car.

I guess it's true that no good deed goes unpunished...


No comments:

Post a Comment