Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Stone Island

The first day in Mazatlan P and I went to Stone Island to watch a surfing comp. We were accompanied by Willy, a local Mazatloan. Since it's late in the season, and beach conditions were not conducive to swimming, there were few tourists. We only saw some from the shore, on a booze cruise boat.

Beach at Stone Island. It was the calmest beach, but not exactly conducive to wading and swimming.
None of the restaurants were open so Willy found a guy with a cooler and bought beer. We had pacificos, which have more alcohol in them there than in the US. They also taste better.

As we were walking to a restaurant to have some ceviche I hesitated by the side of the road and asked Willy "Is it legal for us to walk down the road drinking beer?"

He gave me a quizzical look, then said "Franki, everything is legal in Mexico".

Isla de Chivos
On Wednesday, my birthday, P and I went to Stone Island for my second day of surfing. I managed to get up on the board and ride a wave in which was awesome. As I was exiting the water a woman stopped me and congratulated me on my ride. And an older Mexican grandmother gave me a nod and a huge smile. Pretty cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment