Wednesday, August 8, 2012

some ways to be cool (none really work)

I am not *really* complaining because the hottest day in Denver is still better than a sort of hot day anywhere else...but it is kind of hot in the afternoon and with no swamp cooler...and UPS* sent me an email this morning saying my rubberizeit wouldn't be here until tomorrow...

So, the engineer in me decided to do some experiments on keeping my house cool.

Experiment #1 - Open all the doors and windows during the day but keep doors closed at night. Turn on ceiling fans.
Result - Hot and noisy. Cross breeze my ass.

Experiment #2 - Open just the downstairs back door during the day (since it's shaded by my under decking the air is cooler than that coming from the upstairs door - and I can prove it because I've been taking temperature measurements). Turn on ceiling fans.
Result - Hot. Not noisy. A bit claustrophobic.

Experiment #3 - Only open the doors at night (back doors, not front). Turn on all ceiling fans. Close doors in morning. Turn off all but the main fan during the day.
Result - This actually worked pretty well (5 degree temperature drop from experiment #2). But it did cause me to have nightmares even though no one can get through my screened safety doors without a blow torch and my back yard is enclosed and would require someone to climb over my garage and then 18 feet up to my deck.

No, I don't have too much time on my hands. Why would you think that?

*Is it just me or is UPS starting to really suck? I mean, they mailed back my packages after 3 delivery attempts (2 in one day) instead of storing them as usual and then when I called to complain said they changed their policy about holding packages for 5 days. I was like "thanks for fucking telling me" and they were like "we're telling you now". Grr.

No comments:

Post a Comment