Monday, April 16, 2012

I guess I know more about architecture than architects

My architect came today to talk to me about my kitchen remodeling plans. I'm not sure we will see eye to eye on everything. Her book of projects totally fits my style. But, I did have moments of doubt. Like this:

Sarah: we could put the refrigerator here, and if it had paneling, it would look like a cabinet
Me: but, it's a refrigerator
Sarah: but people like to cover the refrigerator so it looks like a cabinet
Me: but then wouldn't it look like I didn't have a refrigerator in my kitchen?
Sarah: no, because people know you have a refrigerator
Me: so why would I make it look like a cabinet?
Sarah: so you don't see your appliances
Me: but I'm not covering my oven and dishwasher with paneling, so don't you think the refrigerator might feel bad, like "what's wrong with me that I get covered up with a cabinet? it's because I'm fat and ugly!" Then little tears would leak out the ice maker.
Sarah: refrigerators don't think
Me: mine might, if I get one with a robot in it
Sarah: (after looking in my refrigerator) doesn't look like you need a refrigerator anyway. You just need a coke dispensing machine.

She's going to give me a sketch of her idea for the redesign in a few days. She says my problem is I can't visualize stuff. I hope that's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment