Wednesday, August 24, 2011

guess which country this happened in

Below are some scenarios that recently happened to me at work. Guess where I'm working.

Me: Um, it appears you've made some changes to the meta model without clearing them through the governance board.
Client: There is no governance board.
Me: In addition, you're using terms like "application component" in a non-standard way. We need to fix this.
Client: This meta model and its definition can't be changed, it's taken me a year to get it approved. I can't go back and ask for a change after spending so much time getting an approval.
Me: So there is a governance board that approved this?
Client: No.
Me: So can we go talk to the people who approved these changes and explain why we have to make more changes?
Client: I don't think they would be receptive to that.
Me: Can you tell me who the people are at least that approved this?
Client: Me.
Me: And you're the only approver.
Client: Yes

This happened in:
a. Kazakhstan
b. the Middle East
c. Texas

(as I'm stuffing my work badge into my backpack in the lobby of the client building leaving for the day today)
Security: Excuse me, you are violating a VERY IMPORTANT security policy that you must wear a badge at all times.
Me: But, I'm leaving (as I'm standing 2 feet from the door to the outside world)
Security: But you are in the building so you must wear your badge at all times
Me: But when I drop off my badge at the end of the week I'm allowed to walk through the lobby without it.
Security: Don't make me write you up for a security violation!

This happened in:
a. Kazakhstan
b. the Middle East
c. Texas

Client: I'm very upset. Your software stopped working last night!
Me: It just randomly stopped working?
Client: Yes.
Me: I find that very hard to believe. Maybe there was some kind of automatic update to your computer last night? Or you may have changed something?
Client: We do our updates manually. I didn't change anything. Your software is broken!
Me: Can you show me?
(I look at his computer and see the software is working except for some hyper links)
Me: The software is working, just the hyper links are broken. And I'm getting a message that the JDK was updated to a different version than you had previously installed.
Client: I updated that last night.
Me: But didn't we discuss yesterday afternoon not to do that upgrade because that JDK version is not supported? Don't you remember me sending you a link to the web page stating that?
Client: That's not the point. The point is the software isn't working.

This happened in:
a. Kazakhstan
b. the Middle East
c. Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment