Wednesday, March 23, 2011

how climbing is like life

I was talking to my neighbor Carol on Monday. She's coming out with a new addition of her book (http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Fall-Carol-Hampson/dp/0615208347) and wanted some feed back on the changes she had made to the cover.

She noticed my hands and forearms are torn up and scabby from climbing at shelf. I was telling her about how I need to work on my foot work. She knows about climbing at shelf because she did a lot of research for her book, which is about her son, a climber who died in Yosemite.

Then we started talking about my book. I told her that I was very frustrated, and that I felt any time I made progress and got excited that something was going to happen, events always transpired to slow down everything. Carol, who knows I'm not the most patient person in the world, was telling me (for like the millionth time) to slow down and enjoy the journey, and that things would happen as they should.

We started talking about how, in a lot of ways, climbing is like writing a book. You have to have good technique to get anywhere. You have to be aware of what you are doing and plan ahead. Then you can't rush things or get into a mental tizzy because things aren't going as planned.

Which is the theme of a post recently on gadd's blog (my smart ass comment at the bottom of the post): http://gravsports.blogspot.com/2011/02/helmet-fire.html

Anyway, I'm trying to enjoy the "journey". Even though it's taking a LONG fucking time. Ech.

Doesn't anyone out there know an agent????????

No comments:

Post a Comment