Tuesday, October 5, 2010

rejection part II, and my dad's literary criticism

So the agent who asked to read the first five pages of my other nine lives sent me this yesterday:

Thanks for sending along the opening pages of My Other Nine Lives.  Truth be told, though,  I'm afraid these pages just didn't draw me in as much as I had hoped.  I'm pressed for time these days and, what with my reservations about the project, I suspect I wouldn't be the best fit. Thanks so much for contacting me, though, and for giving me this  opportunity. It's much appreciated, and I'm sorry to be passing. I wish you the very best of luck in your search for representation.

It was a nice rejection. But now I'm thinking I'll have to restructure the prologue of my book. Again.

My dad called after I forwarded the rejection to him. It was kind of funny because he said "Basically, she's telling you that she didn't really care about you, so you have to fix those pages to make people care about you." Literary criticism from my dad. Ha ha! I pointed out to him that he never reads anything I write and he said "I read a few pages of sharkfest". So I'm sending him the full story to read. And, I think he's right.

 Oh well. So far my rejections have come from the top tier agents. And other friends of mine who are published say that it's surprising I've gotten any response. So I'm going to keep hacking away, finish my book this week, and spam more agents with my proposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment