Tuesday, December 15, 2009

tigers

I've been having a philosophical discussion with myself the past few days because of the whole Tiger scandal. Not that I usually care about shit like that, but, it's been better than reading about all the unrest happening in my neighboring countries...

I heard two interesting things, both said by women. And, I'm not sure they're true. The first thing was about what attracts people to each other. It was along the lines of "half of the attraction to someone is that they're attracted to you and interested in you, so that makes them attractive". The second thing was a snarky comment "If everything is fine in your relationship, you aren't looking around".

While I think both of these things apply to WOMEN, I don't believe that they apply to men. But, I may be wrong.

In the first instance, I think men are just as attracted to people who aren't attracted to them. I see this all the time at work with these nimrods who will do things that even becoming physically threatening to me just to get my attention. It's not that I think they have some great interest in me, but rather that they hate that I am not interested in them. Once I show interest the problem usually goes away.

In the second instance, I think men are ALWAYS looking around. They aren't doing it for the same reason as women. Women are looking around to see if they can find a better guy. Men are looking around because they're worried they'll miss the opportunity to fuck someone who might want to fuck them. Most of the time guys who cheat, at least the ones I've known, are not looking for a new girlfriend, they're just looking for a new piece of ass. And when they're done, they'll dismiss that piece of ass without a second thought. Women, on the other hand, usually want to keep the new piece of ass around, preferably to replace the old piece of ass.

I may be wrong. Or maybe I just know some fucked up people. But this is what my experience has shown. I know plenty of married guys who mess around behind their partners' backs, not because they are unhappy with their partner but because they can. That might be why men and women have so many problems. Someone in the media was speculating that Tiger loved one of the girls that he was fucking. I thought that was a preposterous assumption. He did it to feed his ego, not because he cared about any of the girls, even if he was telling them otherwise.

Lesson learned, the hard way. Just because a guy says he loves you and is attracted to you, if he isn't with you, then what he's saying is bullshit. Sure, he might "love" you; but he really loves the person he stays with.

Also, just because a guy screws around on you, you can't assume he doesn't love you. Maybe he just loves himself more. He isn't cheating on you because he loves the person he cheated with. He did it to make himself feel better and to build up his ego, at the expense of yours. So it's not necessarily the right thing to leave him, because most guys will put themselves before you.

Until women start doing the same, we'll keep getting screwed in this game.

4 comments:

  1. I thought it was all about finding someone to wake up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well then, fancy a fuck?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't know how many logical falacies I can find in this screed, and I know you care about that on some level. But you don't care, on another.

    Ever considered a Dawkinsian kind of interpretation, where the confusion of sexual motivation is an impetus to human development, ensuring randomization of the gene pool?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe it or not, I know lots - too many - men who have been cheated on and they were unselfish, generous men like the guy you met who was taking care of his wife with MS. And no, most guys won't put themselves before you. The only fact that can be stated (facts are key to rule out emotional bias) is that women tend to have a greater sense of commitment than men do as they are programmed differently, biologically speaking. That doesn't mean men don't commit. And for the record, I was screwed over incredibly badly by a woman and no, this doesn't give me the right to put myself first. So for those of you screwed over by a selfish man, I'm sorry, but neither he, nor Tiger, are a reason to conclude all men are selfish; just as my ex and many women like her don't give me a reason to assume all women are selfish cheats. I've met very warm, kind, generous women. And guess what - there are nice, warm men out there too (yes, I know they hide). Also, extremely successful men can sometimes be alpha-male, monomaniac types - I wouldn't expect these guys to be wildly successful at committing (just a tip as I know women love the ambitious, alpha male)). Also, women are very smart, clever and crafty (kudos) and they do a great job at snatching up the marrying-type of guys before, during and after college so I'm guessing most of what's left is low-quality, and/or divorced with trust issues. Welcome to it.

    ReplyDelete