Thursday, August 13, 2009

heading east and other exciting news

I finally got the go ahead for my trip to the middle east today. I'm leaving for Abu Dhabi on Sunday. I'm not sure when I'm returning, likely February. But, it may be later than that because...

I also found out today that I was accepted into the Banff mountain writing program, which starts in November. I guess when I get to AD I'll figure out whether or not it's feasible for me to go. I am hoping it is as it will give me an opportunity to get my book finished and, allah willing, published.

I have no idea why I was picked for the program. My list of publications reads more like an engineering snorefest than something "mountain" people might want to read. Maybe they liked my story submissions, or figured anyone stupid enough to do an open water swim without knowing how to swim would be good entertainment, albeit a possible insurance liability.

3 comments:

  1. It's not "Allah Willing", it "In sha'Allah", or something to that effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very talented writer and entertainer. I'm sure that's why they picked you and also why I rarely miss a posting. Seriously GF, I have a few, very few RSS feeds that I read on a regular basis that are not work related.

    To be sure, sometimes wading through your crap (I had a dream) is hard but so it is with any good relationship. You are worth it or I wouldn't spend my time.

    Can't wait to see what happens with your writing with this new opportunity. I'll be the first to buy or review your book(s).

    Secret Admirer

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, Inshallah and allah willing mean the same thing.

    Second, my dreams are not "crap". And, I suspect you are the reader for whom I changed my background so you could pretend you were working. While you were reading my "crap".

    Anonymous. So annoying. Can't you guys think of some super hero personality at the very least? Code name? Identity based on your breakfast cereal?

    It's hard being one of the few people in the world with an imagination.

    ReplyDelete